Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ready to Taste the Difference?

this entry is neither about a new pizza parlor in Indonesia, nor a new bubble tea kiosk imitating its former. this is about a new upcoming Indonesian film called Quickie Express. those of you who are already experts in sexual terms probably have known what 'quickie' means. I'm not gonna talk about the term, but the film itself.

Quickie Express is just another film by Kalyana Shira, with Nia Dinata as the producer, and Dimas Djayadiningrat as the director. for some of Indonesian Cinemas' followers, those two names are already everyday's in-and-out; Nia Dinata as the personage of her various award-winning films, such as Arisan and Berbagi Suami, whereas Dimas Djay as one of the famous music videos director.

from what I read in its official website, Quickie will focus on the life of Gigolos in Indonesia. the genre of this film will be dark comedy, as in the story, the gigolos use a pizza delivery called 'Quickie Express' as their cover-up.

this film uses some overused actors (I'm not gonna say talented) as the main casts, such as Tora Sudiro (Arisan, Naga Bonar 2, Extravaganza.. don't have enough energy to continue), Lukman Sardi (Gie, 9 Naga, Jakarta Undercover.. really, need to save my remaining energy to do another one), and Aming (he's the famous comedian from the overrated Extravaganza and cameos in almost all films). Other than that, you can get some other names in Kalyana Shira website.

for sure, this film sounds promising, as Kalyana Shira has the habit of arising some irregular issues, especially in sexuality. we can see what they have done in almost every of their films, such as Arisan (homosexuals), Berbagi Suami (polygamy, lesbian), etc. However, looking at the actors and the director, I'm starting to doubt the reputation of this film. imagining Aming himself as one of the gigolos has already made myself loosing my apetite, and in addition, does any of you have heard of Tusuk Jelangkung? yes that crappy horror movie is Dimas Djay's. oh, and one more thing, looking at the photo I attached, those poses are far from the words 'sexy' and 'masculine' as the representation of what a gigolo is about. in fact, they, especially Aming in the middle, are sexgusting!

after all, one element of this film that makes me more interested is the writer itself, Joko Anwar. he is the raising star in Indonesia, in terms of the filmmaking. some of his gorgeous works can be seen through the award-winning Janji Joni, the controversial Jakarta Undercover, and the most recent one, Kala.

about the title, I'm not really sure what the hell 'Quickie Express' stands for. I mean, I know what those words are about (I'm not a native speaker but I'm not that dumb either), but are all the gigolos in the film having some kind of impotency or premature ejaculation problems due to the very-often-sex as part of their profession? if so, then the title represents that very well.

well, apart from that, I'm definitely gonna see this film as I'm already a fan of Kalyana Shira and Nia Dinata. I consider her as one of the most creative and idealistic producer, other than those Indian monsters (I'm not gonna say producers) with their horror wastes and teen-flick shits.

so I'm gonna follow the development of this film, and in the end I will prove whether what my writing here is true or not through another entry as the review. time will tell, and we just have to wait and see.

No comments: