Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In the Mood for Blueberry

I was just browsing around when I finally caught one name that I'm really fond of; Wong Kar Wai (In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, 2046). although I've just seen two of his films so far, for me, he's already a great filmmaker with his own breaking-the-rules sense and style.

like I said before, I've only seen two of his films, and that includes Chungking Express and 2046. based on my observation through those films, I can see that he usually focus more on the cinematic and artistic elements during the development of each films, rather than follow the whole script. rumor has it that he has never had and used any single solid script for his films. so, it may as well be said that he loves to work more on his feelings during the process rather than on what's already been prepared before. in one simple statement, he hates plans (maybe. I'm not him by the way).

ok, I'm not gonna talk about him anymore, as this entry is not an essay reviewing him and his entire films. for more details about him and all his films, you can just go to this site. this posting is about his new upcoming film called My Blueberry Nights. for your information, this is his first English film, and it was the opening film for the 2007 Cannes Film Festival.

from the poster above, we can see the two faces that we all have known about, Rachel Weisz and Jude Law. however, they are not the only ones to be seen in this film. in fact, My Blueberry Nights focuses on the first journey of Elizabeth (Norah Jones) across America. during her journey, she meets with several other characters played by Rachel Weisz, Jude Law, and Natalie Portman. from those different characters, she finally finds the true meaning of loneliness and hollowness inside herself, and as her relationships with them develop, she explores more and more of herself, and of what she is really doing in America.

after seeing the trailer and several screen captures, I can say that this film is still with Wong Kar Wai's usual elements, in which he always play around with the color composition, framing, and other cinematography aspects. I just hope that this time he uses the stronger script because usually his previous films are lack of the story developments and I couldn't quite catch and enjoy the films because of that.

in this film, there are lots of aspects that can be put into a list of trivia, after the director's first English film as a start. here we can see the reunion of Jude Law and Natalie Portman that we probably last saw both of them together in Closer (2004). also, this film is Norah's debut in acting.

finally, all I can say is, I'm really looking forward to see this film no matter how hard it is gonna be. I want to see how the 'beauty' and the story mixed together, so that this film is not only Wong Kar Wai's first English film, but also the first, in terms of the solidity and subtlety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks interesting, but hopefully it won't be as weird as 2046. it was confusing... or is it just me? hehe

Anonymous said...

In the Mood for Love was brilliant! Alright, have to admit there're some sparse moments where I half snoozed? But the artsy fartsy slash quirky style certainly hooked me to see more from him! I’m quite excited that Norah Jones cast in this new film; going to watch it for sure :D

Anonymous said...

U should watch In the mood for love... well two thumbs up ^^... it's unusual movie with unusual plot... If you like this kind of movie... I suggest "3-iron" from South Korea and "Be With Me" from Singapore....